Slow cooker sausage casserole is one of my family’s favourites. As a busy full time working mum, I am always looking for ways to save on time. My two boys are always hungry and mealtimes can be stressful if I’ve not planned.
At the end of the day when you arrive home from work and the children are hungry, it can be easy to pick up the phone for a takeaway. Something we do as a family but not something I want to do regularly as its expensive and not always the best healthy choice.
I tend to find that I have more time to spare in the morning so the slow cooker is now my trusty assistant. Ten minutes in a morning is generally all it takes to prep and load the machine. The slow cooker I have is a Crockpot but there are several brands on the market but I like this one because its generous in size. Big enough to cook a whole chicken! Not something I have ever tried…
I have found there are several recipes online suitable for the slow cooker, so for more inspiration it’s always worth googling a search.
This recipe is an easy one to get you started and if your children are fussy like mine then you can easily adapt it to exclude or replace an ingredient.
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole Ingredients
2 x Red Onions, finely chopped
1 x Celery stick, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp oil (rapseed, vegetable, olive – any option)
4 x Carrots, cut in small pieces
12 x Sausages
1 x Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
400g Tin chopped tomatoes
1 x tbsp tomato puree
1 x beef stock cube
Splash of Worcester Sauce.
- Fry the Sausages along with the chopped onions & celery in a frying pan on a low heat. Fry until the sausages have browned and the onions & celery have softened a little.
- Transfer to the Slow Cooker and add Sweet Potato and Tinned Tomatoes.
- In the same frying pan add the Puree and 250ml boiling water. Add the stock cube, salt pepper and Worcester Sauce.
- Bring to the Boil and transfer to the Slow Cooker.
- Cook on high for 8 hours.
- Serve with pasta or potato (jacket or mash) for a delicious evening meal.