The great British bakeoff inspires you to bake the most delicious cakes and puddings. Just watching the program makes me salivate and crave the sweet stuff. It’s also your cue to get baking your Christmas Cake in time for Christmas day.
As Christmas Day is generally hectic its the perfect opportunity to get organised ahead of the day. This Christmas cake can be prepared well in advance as the boozy fruit mixture improves with age. The longer you leave the ingredients to absorb that wonderful liquor the better.
Whilst I always use my mothers very old BERO recipe book for guidance there really are no rules for this cake and you can make it to your specification. One tweak I like to add is a splash of rum and whisky, well it is Christmas!
Ingredients For Christmas Cake
300g Self Raising Flour
1 x 5ml Spoon of Mixed Spice
100g Ground Almonds
200g Caster Sugar
4 x Eggs beaten with 125ml Milk
100g halved Glace Cherries
100g diced Mixed Peel
Generous Splash of Rum
Generous Splash of Whisky
Method for Christmas Cake
- Sieve Flour, Spice and ground Almonds.
- Cream butter and sugar, stir into flour mixture along with the eggs and milk (adding a little at a time between mixes)
- Lastly add the fruit, alcohol and mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture in a greased and lined 23cm round or 20/5cm square tin. Protect with Brown paper.
- Bake in a slow oven 150 degrees celsius for about 4 and 1/2 hours.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool. Whilst cooling it is optionable to pour over a little more alcohol which will soak into the sponge.
- Decorate the cake with Royal Icing or fruit to your specification.
This is OneChicMom’s festive cake to give you some inspiration but really you can be as creative as you like and the kids will also love to help too.